Nighthawks and Owls ends in controversy

Nighthawks and Owls ends in controversy

ANNANDALE – Newcomer Joe Davis scored a team-high 23 points, and hit a free throw late to make it 81-77, but Harford finished the game on a 6-0 run to down the Northern Virginia Community College men's basketball team 83-81.

The Nighthawks start the season 0-1 and are back in action Wednesday, Nov. 7 at Chesapeake.

Three minutes into the game Harford led NOVA 9-4, but NOVA quickly took the momentum following a Terrell Walker layup and Emmanuel Miller's old fashion three-point play to tie the contest at nine.

The teams traded points, as NOVA held a one-point lead (14-13) and did not lose the advantage for the remainder of the period as NOVA took a 38-35 lead into the locker room.

During second period play the Nighthawks continued to hold a lead and went up by six following a pair of free throws by Tavaris James, who had eight points nights

At the midway point of the half, Harford had its first lead since 12:23 mark of the first period when Naquan Williams-Day scored down low.

The Owls lead however did not last, as Walker hit two free throws to make it 58-56 in favor of the Nighthawks. Andre McFadden then put NOVA on top 68-61 when he drained a deep three with just over eight minutes left.

Seven minutes later is when controversary struck, as Devin Smith of Harford was down low and was fouled. The ref signaled a good bucket, but after finishing the three-point play the officials met with the scorers table and waved off the bucket after it was determined the basketball did not go in.

Smith was then sent back to the free throw line to finish the back end shot. Smith, however missed the free throw and the Nighthawks grabbed the rebound.

On NOVA's next trip down the floor, Davis drove hard to the basket, but was fouled and was sent to the line for two. Davis hit the front end, but missed the second to make it 81-77 with 1:23 to go in the game.

However, over the final minute, the Nighthawks missed all five shots and had a pair of turnovers to allow the Owls to escape with the two-point win.